Monday 7 October 2013

Angels led by donkeys

Yesterday, it was a triple event of NHS goodness. To my GP's surgery for blood tests, and a visit to our son from both the midwife and the health visitor.

At my GP, I dropped in at 10.20 to ask about having bloods taken (essential to keep tabs on my Addison's disease). I was back in having it done at 11.45.

As the nurse (typically friendly and effective) set about finding a usable vein, we got to talking about budget cuts. It's a minor detail, but the tape used in bandaging needle entry wounds was something of a false economy, falling to bits as she looked for the end. But with the surgery's pot of money growing smaller, more is to come. What might be next?

"Your ten minute appointment becomes seven. Then if I can't find a vein, we've had it."

For her, the cuts are all coming in the wrong places. No doubt there is a lot of bureaucracy which could stand to be cut, but in her experience, it's the front line that's bearing the brunt.

'Lions led by donkeys' perhaps isn't the right phrase. 'Angels led by donkeys' seems more appropriate.

When I arrived home, I found the midwife and health visitor in my living room chatting to my wife. The midwife was thrilled with our son's progress; he's back up above his birth weight so is clearly feeding well. Seeing her leave was bitter-sweet; the news of our son was all positive, and she had nothing but praise for the way my wife had handled the first fortnight. Still, as we're not planning on more children, it was our last meeting with someone whose warmth and wit we both enjoy.

The health visitor stayed with us for a good hour, outlining the next steps for jabs, and helping us understand how our son is getting enough milk. Again, cuts came up in conversation. Exasperated, I asked -

"Is there something more important the state should be spending money on than the health of its citizens?"

The health visitor replied, weary and sardonic -

"HS2?"

No comments:

Post a Comment